EASY STEPS TO GET LAOS VISA ON ARRIVAL
Laos, also known as Laos People’s Democratic Republic, is a landlocked and mountainous country in the northeast - central mainland of Southeast Asia. For the moment in Laos PDR, there are 14 types of visas for foreigner arriving in Laos, each of them has its own requirements as well as duration.
In the following article, Asia Links Travel will introduce you the simplest way to get Laos Visa on Arrival for tourist purpose which is the most convinient and fastest way to get a ticket to Laos.
First, you need to know that:
- The validity of Lao visa on arrival lasts for 30 days since the issued date
- Holders of Lao visa on arrival are prohibited from working in Laos PDR
1. LAO VISA ON ARRIVAL REQUIREMENTS
- Your passport must be at least 6 - month validity remaining
- You need application form for Visa, which can be obtained from the flight attendances if traveling by airplane or at the visa window if traveling by landlines)
- TWO passport - type photographs
- Cash (in USD) to pay for Visa on Arrival handling fee
2. PROCEDURES TO GET LAOS VISA ON ARRIVAL
- Upon your arrival at the airport/ border checkpoints, make sure you find the right window to obtain for Laos visa on arrival.
- Ask for the application form and fill it out (If you want to save time, you can download the form online, fill in the information, print it out and then show it to the immigration staff at the airport).
- Submit the form as well as your passport and 2 photos
- Pay the visa fee in cash (USD)
- Then, wait until your name is called that means your visa is ready. The waiting time is vary depending on each checkpoint (10 - 40 minutes) and can be delayed due to public holidays and weekends.
3. LAOS VISA ON ARRIVAL FEE
The Visa on Arrival fee depends on your home country and you need to pay the fee in cash at the border lines or at the airports' immigration office.
|Country Name||Fee (USD)||Country Name||Fee (USD)|
On weekends, Laos' national holidays and the check - in time before 8 a.m and after 4 p.m weekdays, travelers need to pay an extra of $1 for working over time.
If you cannot see your country on the list above, it can be consider that the amount of money you should pay is 30 USD (per “others" column)
Tourists from the following countries are exempted from issuing visa for maximum 30 days. We have listed the detail list here:
|Country Name||Maximum of Staying|
|South Korea||15 Days|
Almost all travelers from all around the world are eligible to ask for Visa on Arrival, EXCEPT these countries listed under:
|Cote d’Ivoire||Sri Lanka|
|Guinea||Syria ( Syrian Arab republic)|
|Libya ( Libyan Arab Jamahiriya )||Zimbabwe|
Citizens from above-mentioned-non-eligible countries can get a visa to Laos under either these conditions:
- They are on an official visits to Lao PDR.
- They are holding a guarantee from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Lao PDR.
4. CHECKPOINTS THAT ALLOWS TO OBTAIN LAOS VISA ON ARRIVAL
It is absolutely easy to get your Visa on Arrival whether you travel by air or by land. The Department of Immigration of Laos PDR is now opening up the below borders to welcome travelers from many countries around the world
• Wattay International Airport in Vientiane Capital.
• Luang Prabang International Airport in Luang Prabang Province.
• Pakse Internatioanl Airport in Champasack Province.
• Savannakhet International Airport in Savannakhet Province.
Border Checkpoints between China - Laos
• Mohan - Botene , Yunnan to Luang Namtha Province.
Border Checkpoints between Thailand - Laos
• Chiangkhong - Houixay, Chiang Rai to Bokeo Province.
• Nakaxeng - Kaenthao, Loei to Sayabouly Province.
• Houi Koln – Nam Ngeun, Nan to Sayabouly Province.
• Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge I, Nongkhay-Vientiane Capital.
• Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge II, Moukdahan-Savannakhet Province.
• Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge III, Nakorn Phanom-Khammouane Province.
• Chongmek - Vangtao, Ubol Ratchathani to Champasack Province.
Border Checkpoints between Vietnam - Laos
• Pang Hok - Tay Trang, Dien Bien Phu to Muang Khua and Luang Prabang.
• Nameo - Banleui, Thanh Hoa to Huaphanh Province.
• Namkan - Nam Can, Nghe An to Xieng Khouang Province.
• Keoneua - Nampao (Lak Sao), Ha Tinh to Bolikhamxay Province.
• Lao Bao - Dansavanh, Quang Tri to Savannakhet Province.
Border Checkpoints between Cambodia - Laos
• Dong Calor - Veun Kham, Cambodia to Champasack Province.
5. LAOS VISA EXTENTION
According to the law of Department of Immigration Laos PDR, It is possible for you to over-stay your Visa, though, you need permit to do so.
Where to Apply:
You need to get to Immigration Office in the capital city - Vientiane to process your Visa extension.
- Location: Khun Bu Lom Roadd, Vientiane, Laos (opposite the Morning Market)
- Opening time: Monday to Thursday (8 a.m to 4 p.m), Friday (8 a.m to 12 a.m),
* Please notice: Laos offices have lunch time from 12.am to 1 p.m, therefore, you could not get your work done during those hours.
How to Apply
You need to bring the following documents to extend your Visa:
- Your passport
- One passport-type photo
- Service fee: 25.000 Kip (apx $3)/person
- Extension fee: 20.000 Kip (apx $2.5)/person/day
Note: If it is impossible for you to be at the immigration office to extend your visa, you can over-stay for a few more days as long as you are prepared to pay the over-staying fine of $10/ day. The fine will be collected on your departure day. However we do not recommend to do so.
We hope that you find this article useful for your trip in Laos in the near future. Should you need help to customize your trip, please contact us for more details.